Finnix 120 release notes
Major new features
Finnix is back from a 5 year hiatus! Finnix 120 is a complete overhaul, with the following major changes (as well as too many minor changes to enumerate):
- Finnix 120 is now a native 64-bit amd64 userland and kernel system. For older 586/686/PowerPC support, Finnix 109 is recommended as the last Finnix release which was well-supported on those 32-bit platforms.
- Both BIOS and UEFI booting are now available, with Secure Boot.
- Hundreds of new utility packages have been added.
- Automatic setup attempts of complex block device layouts have been removed, in favor of management via udisksctl with tab-completion.
- Other legacy features and boot modes have been discontinued or are no longer supported, in favor of core USB/CD booting.
- ISO size has increased (477 MiB, from 160 MiB), but the goal is to continue to keep it under the size of a CD-R.
- NEALE, the bespoke build system used by Finnix, has been discontinued. Finnix is now built as a customized system based on the debian-live build software.
- No known errata at this time. For general troubleshooting and notes, please see Documentation.
To verify download integrity, please use the provided OpenPGP signature. Download finnix-120.iso (the main file) and finnix-120.iso.gpg (the detached signature), then run:
gpg --recv-keys 867279B83BF8E815A236D39E7D6F85C04356E6C2 gpg --verify finnix-120.iso.gpg finnix-120.iso
The verification output should look similar to below:
gpg: Signature made using RSA key 867279B83BF8E815A236D39E7D6F85C04356E6C2 gpg: Good signature from "Finnix Release Signing Key <firstname.lastname@example.org>"
Be sure to explicitly check the reported signature matches Finnix Release Signing Key's OpenPGP signature, 8672 79B8 3BF8 E815 A236 D39E 7D6F 85C0 4356 E6C2.