Finnix 91.0 release notes
- Linux 2.6.24 (based on Debian 2.6.24-1)
- Debian testing (2008-01-21)
- Packages: x86, PowerPC
- Development codename: Seymour
- Build: 2154 (x86), 176 (PowerPC)
9a2c6e19da28c3aa33b34ad0ad31aa0a finnix-91.0.iso 86abba2f3f786db90f65466f497dd9a2 finnix-ppc-91.0.iso
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQBHnY4xKZYQqSA+yiURAlNdAJ0bpFbmHeQ+o66FUBznt5wdT6Ez7wCfajuF TRKpEaQC4aW7xwr1cpkdU1I= =9SD5 -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQBHnZsNKZYQqSA+yiURAiDXAJ44zpvZwLMVOhdF3ODmHttAm+8RsQCfW7gO LM3JzMHKnZSORIflYrTTE5k= =iwiO -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- If a software RAID array is detected, booting will go into an endless cycle. If this occurs, boot as "finnix noraid" or "finnix64 noraid".
Major new features
Automatic 32-bit/64-bit detection (x86)
If you press "enter" at the boot screen of Finnix 91.0 x86, the boot loader will now detect if you have a 64-bit capable CPU, and will load the appropriate kernel. You can still force 32-bit or 64-bit by entering the "finnix" or "finnix64" boot profiles. Note that this is for the x86 Finnix CD only; PowerPC G5 users will still have to enter the "finnix64" boot profile manually, as the yaboot boot loader does not have this capability.
While RAID, LUKS (encryption) and LVM detection have been in Finnix for awhile now, they were loaded in a certain order, and some configurations were not detected as a result. With Finnix 91.0, most configurations should be detected. For example, an encrypted LVM set on top of two RAID disks should be set up automatically.
While not a "major new feature", several bug fixes were made for Finnix 91.0, including LVM/LUKS fixes, and multiple-level /dev block device detection corrections.
90.0 -> 91.0
- initrd: migrated from classic initrd model to initramfs
- Moved /sbin/init to /init
- Upgraded to BusyBox 1.8.2 (needed for switch_root)
- Replaced pivot_root init code with switch_root
- initrd: new default nameservers for non-DHCP NFS name booting
- Removed hard drive (non-initrd) installation capability
- Support booting from vanilla-supplied paravirt Xen (2.6.23 and beyond)
- Fixed automatic LUKS/LVM detection
- Added stackable RAID/LUKS/LVM detection
- Added packages: ntfs-3g
- Removed packages: unzsplit, zsplit, scrub (not maintained by Debian, abandoned upstream, functionality fulfilled by other packages)
- Subdirectory block devices (/dev/cciss, etc) fixed in several places
- Kernel upgrade, 2.6.24-1-finnix
- Upgraded isolinux, added default64 syslinux option